Thursday, December 6, 2012

a birthday worth remembering.


When I was in Monterrey, I met a couple that I won’t soon forget.  Tommy and Lauren sponsor a girl named Yari through Back2Back's Child Sponsorship Program.  Tommy surprised Lauren on her birthday with a trip to Monterrey so they could be at Yari’s Quincenera (15th Birthday) party.  Quincenera’s in Mexico mark a girl transitioning to an adult, and usually rival a wedding in size and grandeur.  Tommy and Lauren knew the importance of being there for Yari, and decided it was worth more than any gift he could get her.  They flew in a day early to help decorate and make sure each detail was in place.  They bought flowers and paid to have her hair done.  They were overjoyed to be apart of her big day.
I wish I could put into words what I saw as I sat at a table in the back and watched the evening unfold.  It was beautiful in the most other-worldly way.  The look of surprise when Yari realized they had come for her.  Seeing Tommy and Lauren stand in the gap where this world failed Yari.  Watching a girl become a woman.  
In the midst of it, God spoke His truth over me.  “The thief comes only to steal and kill and destroy; I have come that they may have life, and have it to the full” (John 10:10).  In Christ alone we have hope for a full life.  And because of Him, Yari had a birthday worth remembering.
The love that Tommy and Lauren have for Yari is from God the Father.  He has compelled them to love her the way He does.  It is Heavenly in nature, and nothing short of a miracle.  It’s no wonder that it shines bright in a dark world.  It’s not from here. 
That’s what I love about God.  The things of Him don’t make any sense in this world. Yet He’s not so big that He won’t reach down and enter in.  He puts His own Spirit inside us, making us foreigners in this land.  He allows us to have fellowship with Him.  What kind of God does that?
As you watch the video below, remember that what you are watching was God’s idea.  He dreamed it up.  It was His gift to His children.  It reminds me of a wedding feast that awaits all who remain faithful.  I hope you’re as excited for it as I am.

Tommy, Lauren and Yari Video

No comments:

Post a Comment