Wednesday, November 13, 2013

God is moving in India: Mercy Home.

Mercy Home is an orphanage located near a small town 2 hours outside Hyderabad.  Our team stayed at Mercy Home for 2 nights and got to experience a taste of hostel living (orphanages are called hostels in India).  The home was started by a pastor named Dr. John in the 60's.  Him and his wife are still in charge of and live at the home with the children.  

There are around 300 children that live at Mercy Home.  I am not sure what the boys dorms are like, but for over 100 girls, there is one young woman who cares for all of them.  'Cares for' is obviously a loose term.  Knows their name and counts heads would probably be more accurate.  The children take care of one another.  They don't have a choice.  

But what satan intended for evil, God has used for good.  Dr. John is a man passionate about one thing: Jesus.  Every night the children gather for prayer, worship, and to hear Dr. John preach the gospel.  Most of the children are from Hindu or Muslim families, but since coming to live at Mercy Home, all have heard about the saving blood of Jesus.




One of the nights we were at Mercy Home, Dr. John led the children in worship, our team shared some testimonies, then the children spent time praying to God individually.  The children stood with arms lifted in the air towards God, and prayed with everything they had in them.  I watched in amazement as God's children did what He wishes we all would do-- cry out to Him with the faith that could move a mountain, knowing that He is all we have in this world.  I wish I could describe to you how quickly I felt the Spirit fill that room.  I get goosebumps even thinking about it now.  God was so near.  He was there.  We all knew it.



Our time at Mercy Home was full of several moments like that-- where I sensed just how close God was.  One evening before bedtime, I pulled one little girl in for a hug.  At first she awkwardly hugged me back, then she clung to me.  I was suddenly aware that this is a child who has not been hugged.  I held her close for a minute or two and stroked her hair.  I didn't want to let go either.



I know it is hard to look at photos of children you have never met and have a connection with them.  But let me tell you about this one.  His name is Thirupathi.  He loves to sing praises to God-- about how He is mighty, how His love is perfect, and how He is holy.  He has lived at Mercy Home for the last 2 years.  He is 16 years old, but he looks about 8.  When I first met him, I thought he misunderstood my question when I asked him how old he is.  But another boy, whose English is almost perfect, confirmed that Thirupathi is in fact 16 years old.  He explained his size to me by telling me Thirupathi is from a very poor family in a poor area of India.  As if that explained everything.  I looked him in the eye and told him he was strong in the Lord.  






It may require more than just a glance, but the Kingdom of God is coming to Mercy Home.  His name is being proclaimed there, and children without fathers are calling Him Father.  God is moving.

No comments:

Post a Comment