Friday, August 17, 2012

peace on a hard day.


Do you know what the hardest part about my job is?
It’s not having difficult conversations with sponsors, mundane data entry, or support raising. It is seeing injustice occur that I am unable to change.  It is knowing children have been taken advantage of, and wondering if I could have done something to prevent it.  It is realizing that more often than not, the wicked prosper.   It is trusting God with the children I cannot reach and in situations I cannot fix. 

I love talking about God’s love.  I could go on and on about His mercies, His blessings, and His goodness. But it’s when my job gets hard and I lie awake at night, that His justice comforts me.  If we stop short at thinking God is only love, our view of Him is dwarfed.  It is true that God is the very definition of love.  What makes His love so amazing though is that He is also just.   It’s not that His justice balances out His love.  He is wholly Love and He is wholly Just.   He hates sin.  He is a holy and perfect God.  Which means He requires perfection.  That’s what makes His love so astonishing.  How could He love such a sinful bunch?
Which is why I am so thankful that Jesus paid the price for my sins.  The truth is, I don’t deserve even an ounce of God’s love.  I am as bad as the men I despise.   It is only because of Jesus that I am able to know God.
I feel compelled to tell you that the evil we see all around us will not win in the end.  There will be a day very soon when each of us is held accountable for the wrongs we have done.  History proves this is not a popular message, but it is a true message.  For those of us who trust in the payment Jesus made on the cross for our sins, that day is nothing to be feared.  We can anticipate that sweet moment when we get to meet our Savior face to face. 
Until then, we must trust.  Trust that God is both Love and Just.  He is Mercy and Truth.  Not every child we reach thrives.  Not every child is rescued.  Not every child is protected from pain.  But we can trust that Jesus is returning, and the world will be set right.

No comments:

Post a Comment