Saturday, April 28, 2012

a better story.


I read a book once by Donald Miller called “A Million Miles in a Thousand Years”.  In it, he basically said that each of us is living out our lives like a story.  Most of us live our story sitting on the couch eating potato chips and preferring to watch made up stories on television than live out our own.  We’ve been tricked into living comfortable lives where taking risks seems like too much work.  Miller says, “If our story is boring, it’s because we’ve chosen a safe route.”  I’ve been thinking about this as I have decided to quit my job and begin working with Back2Back.  Undoubtedly it is a risk.  There are times (dare I admit even entire days) when I wonder if I am crazy and making a huge mistake.  It is certainly a little crazy to leave a stable job in pursuit of a career with no promise of financial security.  But it is no mistake.  When I think about my life and the story that I am living, I want it to look more like an old western adventure rather than an episode of The View.  What good is my life if I get to the end and say I lived in a comfortable house and most people liked me?  No thanks.  Before you make your next big decision, ask yourself what the character in a great story would decide to do?  My decision led me to quit my job, take a stand for orphans, and trust that God will provide. 

"The thief comes only to steal and kill and destroy; I have come that they may have life, and have it to the full." John 10:10

No comments:

Post a Comment